Campus Safety Tips
The Office of Public Safety works to educate the campus community and provide information and tips to promote safety on campus.
- Download the Safety, Security, and Emergency Management Brochure
- Download the Campus Safety Tips Flyer
Safety On and Off Campus
- Know the emergency telephone numbers for campus and the greater metropolitan area.
- Subscribe to the campus mass notification system.
- Plan the safest route to your destination. Choose well-lit, busy pathways and streets.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be aware of high crime areas and avoid them.
- Walk with confidence and hold your head up.
- Carry a whistle.
Residence Hall or Off-Campus Living
- Get to know your residence life staff and neighbors.
- Always lock your rooms and windows at night.
- Report any suspicious person and/or behavior.
- Report any malfunctioning locks, doors, windows, or lighting to maintenance staff or security.
- Report all thefts to security or residence life staff.
Motor Vehicle Safety
- Park in well-lit areas where your vehicle is visible. Avoid parking next to large vans or trucks.
- Keep all valuables out of sight by placing them in the trunk, under the seat, or in the glove compartment.
- Service your vehicle regularly to avoid breakdowns.
- Keep your vehicle locked.
- Have your keys ready when you approach the car.
- Before getting in, check inside and under your car to make sure no one is hiding.
- Carry your cell phone and an emergency kit in your car.
- Trust your instincts about situations to avoid.
- Do not lose self-control or impair your judgment by the use or abuse of alcohol or drugs.
- If you go out with other friends, do not get separated.
- Be clear and responsible in your communication with others.
- Secure your valuables and engrave expensive items with identifying information.
- Do not leave your valuables unattended.
- Consider purchasing a locking device for your laptop.
- Keep a list of all items and serial numbers in a safe place.
- Be cautious of letting strangers borrow your cell phone.
- Guard your personal information.
- Do not post specific information or pictures on the internet.