We place an emphasis on service and outreach because we know that pharmacists are trusted health professionals, providing leadership and sharing knowledge to strengthen the communities in which they practice. Besides gaining educational benefits through service, our students enjoy connecting with local causes and nonprofit organizations that are important to them. Making a difference is one of the most satisfying aspects of a career in pharmacy.
Take a look at a few of the many opportunities available:
- STLCOP C.A.R.E.S. (Community Awareness Reaching Everyone in St. Louis) is a student-organized day of community service held during the fall semester.
- Through the College's relationship with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, student volunteers hold numerous diabetes screenings every year at venues across St. Louis and host Boo Fest on the STLCOP campus every October.
- Working with the St. Louis Regional Asthma Consortium, STLCOP faculty created the Asthma Friendly Pharmacies program.
- Working with Health Literacy Missouri, STLCOP students help patients understand health and disease, drugs, interactions, and how lifestyle affects health.
- Ready Readers is a St. Louis-based nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring preschool children from low-income communities to become readers. Trained student volunteers read aloud to young children.
- Pharmacy Phun, a collaboration between STLCOP and the Saint Louis Science Center, features STLCOP students who lead visitors–adults and children–through a variety of hands-on, pharmacy-related activities. Visitors will also learn about safety through activities that focus on the safe disposal of medicine and poison prevention.
STLCOP students have many other opportunities throughout the year to support causes and organizations they believe in. From joining the STLCOP team for the annual Alzheimer’s Walk to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association St. Louis Chapter to donating items for the Ronald McDonald House in conjunction with Homecoming Week to tutoring area students in math and science, our students make a difference throughout the St. Louis area.