Inauguration Weekend Activities
September 16-17, 2011
Since the founding of St. Louis College of Pharmacy on November 11, 1864, its leaders have been ambitious and committed to the advancement of the pharmacy profession. Prior to the installment of a full-time president, the College was led by deans for more than 95 years. Under their leadership, the College grew from one room on the fourth floor of the St. Louis Medical College to a campus in the heart of the Central West End medical community; was the first pharmacy school to be chartered west of the Mississippi and one of the first chartered colleges in Missouri; became the first school of pharmacy to teach botany as its own course of study; introduced the first microscopical laboratory in North America; and played an important role in proposing and passing several pieces of legislation concerning the ethical practice of pharmacy in Missouri. The inauguration of the College’s fourth president is a celebration of STLCOP’s heritage and the leadership of past deans and presidents, all of whom worked tirelessly to realize their vision for STLCOP.
John A. Pieper, Pharm.D., FCCP, became STLCOP’s fourth president on August 1, 2010. During his first year at the College, he has guided faculty, staff, students, and alumni in creating a new strategic plan, STLCOP 20/20, that will determine STLCOP’s focus and initiatives for the next decade. His inauguration on September 17, 2011 will mark a day of celebration in STLCOP history as he challenges the College community to think and act boldly, and commits himself to leading the way.