Historical Timeline

For more than 150 years, St. Louis College of Pharmacy has been educating future pharmacy innovators and practitioners who have made an impact on health care locally, nationally and globally.

Along the way, there have been successes and challenges, but every event has led the College to where it is today – looking ahead to an exciting future. Building on the work of its founders, the College is positioned to become a leader in pharmacy and health care education, interprofessional, patient-centered care, and collaborative research. 

Pre-1850

1764
The City of St. Louis is founded by Chouteau and Laclede.

Photo: Chouteau and Laclede, founders of the city of St. Louis

1809
The first pharmacy in St. Louis opens.

1823
St. Louis becomes a city and elects William Carr Lane, a physician, as mayor.

Image: St. Louis in 1882
1850-1900

1852
The American Pharmaceutical Association (now American Pharmacists Association) is founded in Philadelphia.

1854
The St. Louis Pharmaceutical Association is established on May 25.

1860
A committee of apothecaries and physicians is appointed by the St. Louis Pharmaceutical Association to consider establishing a college of pharmacy in St. Louis.

1861
The Civil War begins in Fort Sumter, South Carolina, on April 12.

Image: Fort Sumter

1864
ST. LOUIS COLLEGE OF PHARMACY IS ESTABLISHED ON NOVEMBER 11.

1865
The first College botany course is taught at Shaw’s Garden (now the Missouri Botanical Garden).

The Civil War ends in April.

In October, the first three College faculty members — Arthur Wagemier, Jeremiah Smith Bois Alleyne, and James O’Gallagher — begin teaching chemistry, material medica, and pharmacy in a room of the St. Louis Medical College.

Image: Lee's Surrender in April 1865

1866
St. Louis College of Pharmacy becomes the first chartered college of pharmacy west of the Mississippi River.

1867
The College outgrows its first location and begins renting lecture rooms at the Tilford Building, located on 4th Street (across from the Old Courthouse in downtown St. Louis).

1868
The first class of 17 men graduate from the College.

1869
Instruction at the College is suspended due to low enrollment.

1871
The College resumes instruction.

The College moves to its third location: the Pullis Building at 208 N. 6th St.

1873
The College moves to its fourth location at the southeast corner of Broadway and Olive.

1875
The St. Louis College of Pharmacy Alumni Association is founded.

Image: Original Alumni Association Logo

1879
The College’s first pharmaceutical lab is built.

The Missouri Pharmaceutical Association is established.

1881
The Missouri Board of Pharmacy is established.

Esther Wightman is the first woman to attend the College.

1884
The College moves to its fifth location: 412 S. 6th St.

1892
The College moves to its sixth location: its own building at 2108-2010 Lucas St. Receipts for the year were $39,936.80. Disbursements were $36,942.15.

Augusta Bock is the first woman graduate of the College.

Photo: Augusta Bock, Class of 1892

1900-1950

1904
The World's Fair is held in St. Louis.

Photo: World's Fair 1904

Henry Whelpley becomes dean.

Photo: Henry Whelpley 1904

The College begins full-time instruction during the day.

1906
The College establishes merit scholarships for students that are sponsored by Mallinckrodt, Meyer Brothers, and J.S. Merrell.

The College helps establish a St. Louis chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association.

The Federal Pure Food and Drug Act requires drug manufacturers to list product ingredients on labels.

1908
The College offers an optional four-year course of study leading to a pharmaceutical chemist degree (Ph.C.).

The College offers a commercial pharmacy course, the first of its kind.

1917
The United States enters World War I.

Photo: Front page of New York Times announces the sinking of the Lusitania

1926
The Board of Trustees purchases property on the southeast corner of Euclid and Parkview Place for $24,000 in, what was then, an emerging medical center in St. Louis.

1927
The College moves to its seventh and current location at Parkview Place and Euclid Avenue. A complete model pharmacy is built on the first floor, so students can learn how to operate a drug store as part of the commercial pharmacy course.

The St. Louis College of Pharmacy Medicinal Plant Garden is established at the Missouri Botanical Garden.

Photo: Shaw's Garden 1927

1929
The College’s first fraternity, Chi Iota Phi, is formed. Student organizations — the Microns and the Garden Club — are formed. 

Photo: Chi Iota Phi, STLCOP's first fraternity

1930
Prescripto, the student yearbook, is launched.

Photo: Cover of 1930 edition of Prescripto

1931
Students acquire artifacts and build exhibits for a new pharmacy museum, located on the fourth floor and, later, in the library.

Photo: Pharmacy Museum

1932
A four-year Bachelor of Science replaces the three-year Ph.G. Bacteriology, English, German, mathematics and physics are added to the curriculum. 

The American Council on Pharmaceutical Education (ACPE) is founded. 

1937
Missouri licensure law requires pharmacists to be graduates of a school or college of pharmacy.

1938
The Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act is enacted.

1940
St. Louis College of Pharmacy is accredited for the first time by ACPE.

1941
The United States enters World War II.

Photo: Roosevelt signs a the declaration of war against Japan

1944
The College initiates an accelerated program. The traditional four-year program could be completed in two years and eight months with students attending three 16-week semesters per year. 

1945
The College is renamed St. Louis College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Sciences.

1946
The College launches a new course in animal health pharmacy, the first of its kind in the nation.

1947
The student body secures 100 percent membership in the student chapter of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the College, one of the first and few schools to ever do so.

1950-2000

1951
Lambda Kappa Sigma, the College’s first pharmaceutical sorority, is established.

The O.J. Cloughly Alumni Library is dedicated.

1952
A Master of Science in Industrial Pharmacy is launched.

Photo: Industrial pharmacy lab

1955
A Master of Science in Hospital Pharmacy is launched.

1956
Richard Crumble, Thomas L. Jones, and Thomas J. Williams III are the first African-American graduates.

1960
The Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy increases to five years. Only 7 percent of students are female.

Intercollegiate athletics launch with bowling as the first sport. Coach Wiedenbacher is the part-time athletic director.

1961
Charles Rabe Jr. becomes the College’s first full-time president.

Photo: Charles Rabe, STLCOP's first full-time president

1962
The College’s name is changed back to St. Louis College of Pharmacy, and a new seal is launched.

1963
The Dispensers, the College’s first intercollegiate basketball team, go 7-7 in their inaugural season.

Photo: 1963 Dispensers team photo

1964
The College celebrates its centennial.

Photo: Centennial Celebration Banquet, 1964

The first residence hall opens on what is now the Quad.

Photo: STLCOP's first residence hall

1965
A continuing education program is developed.

1970
Arthur Zimmer receives the first Outstanding Educator Award (later renamed the Joe E. Haberle Outstanding Educator Award) from the Alumni Association.

1978
A new program of externships in community pharmacies and clerkships at clinical practice sites, mandated by ACPE, is initiated.

1980
Intercollegiate sports are no longer offered.

1981
The College opens Rabe Hall on Forest Park Avenue, formerly the Town and Country apartment complex, which had been renovated as student housing for upperclassmen.

Photo: Rabe Hall, opened in 1981

1983
Sumner Robinson becomes the second president of St. Louis College of Pharmacy.

Photo: Sumner Robinson, 1983

1985
An evening Master of Science in Pharmacy Administration is offered.

1986
The College begins a $7 million campus renovation — a student center, outdoor quad, two-story addition to the library, and renovations to the main academic building.

Photo: Library construction

The College offers an optional six-year Doctor of Pharmacy.

1988
The College collaborates with Barnes Hospital School of Nursing in its three-year nursing program. The College faculty teach science and liberal arts courses for nursing students on the College campus.

1991
The first issue of Script magazine is published.

1993
Intercollegiate sports start up again with both men’s basketball and women’s volleyball.

1994
Thomas F. Patton becomes the third president of the College.

Photo: Thomas Patton, 1994

The new athletic team name and mascot, the Eutectic, is chosen by students, faculty and staff to replace Rex, the purple dinosaur.

1995
A new 29,000-square-foot academic building, later named Whelpley Hall, is completed with classrooms, offices, and a 300-seat auditorium. A parking garage is also added.

Photo: Dedication of Whelpley Hall

1996
The first White Coat Ceremony is held.

2000-Present

2000
A Doctor of Pharmacy becomes the entry-level degree to practice pharmacy.

2001
The first STLCOP C.A.R.E.S. community day of service is created by members of the Student Pharmacists Association.

2003
Campus is renovated with a new eight-story residence hall, café and improvements to the main academic building, now named Jones Hall.

Photo: Core Campus, November 2003

2009
The College completes a land swap with Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, trading Rabe Hall for 1.2 acres of land adjacent to the College's campus.

2010
The College’s endowment reaches $94 million.

The College receives the largest gift in its history: $5.9 million from the Whelpley trust.

John A. Pieper becomes the fourth president of the College.

Photo: John A. Pieper, STLCOP's 4th president

2011
The Board of Trustees approves STLCOP 20/20, a new strategic plan, in June.

St. Louis College of Pharmacy, the city of St. Louis, and the Drug Enforcement Administration create the St. Louis Medication Disposal Initiative.

2012
The College is named a "Great College to Work For" by The Chronicle of Higher Education. It is named again in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

2013
The College opens an Alumni House on Laclede Avenue, two blocks from campus.

Photo: Alumni House

Professor John Beale discovers four drug compounds to treat and prevent Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, acquiring the first patents in the College’s history.

2014
The College introduces a seven-year Doctor of Pharmacy with an integrated bachelor’s in health humanities or health sciences.

The College and the University of Missouri-St. Louis form a collaborative program for students to obtain a Master of Business Administration or graduate certificate in Business Administration. 

The last basketball game is held in The Pillbox in the Cartwright Student Center. It is demolished in March.

The College offers men's and women's basketball, cross country, track and field, tennis and soccer, as well as women's volleyball and softball. The College leaves the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference after 20 years to join the American Midwest Conference.

Groundbreaking for a new 213,000- square-foot Academic and Research Building and library takes place in April.

Photo: New Academic and Research Building Groundbreaking

The College celebrates its sesquicentennial with a Black-Tie Gala and Convocation at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel.

2015
The Academic and Research Building and Library opens for classes in August. The Jones Hall renovations are completed, and all academic departments relocated.

The Center for Clinical Pharmacology is established as a partnership between the College and the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis Department of Anesthesiology.

Founders Day is observed on November 11 by the groundbreaking for the new Recreation and Student Center.

2016
With more than 80 percent of the strategic objectives outlined in STLCOP 20/20 complete, the strategic plan is reevaluated and refreshed with input from the College community.

2017
The Center for Health Outcomes Research and Education is established. Scott Micek, associate professor of pharmacy, is named director.

The Recreation and Student Center opens in August, marking the end of a two-phase consturction project that added more than 400,000 square feet of space to campus.

Grand opening RAS 2017